Sunday, September 04, 2011

wide open space


i'm a hopeless romantic at heart. i read chick lits and i watch rom coms, even the horrible ones. reading this quote somehow validates the fact that not everything is picture perfect. i've certainly seen enough bad rom coms to see that not even the perfection of kate hudson can save a terrible terrible chick flick. sure, i don't need Bob Marley to tell me this, we're living in an imperfect world anyways. but when it comes to dating, i think we tend to put a certain degree of perfection to the partners we chose, choose or will eventually choose. we're not perfect beings so obviously we'll pick partners that are. find a flaw and out he goes.

when people find out that i'm single/unattached, the next question will be 'how come? is it cause you're choosy/picky?' i'm stumped and at a total loss of words. is that a rhetorical question? are they expecting me to have a valid answer? first of all, not being in a relationship is not the end of the world. i'll have you know that being single is not a crime and just because you are in one, that doesn't mean everyone has to be too. and second of all, yes. yes of course i'm picky. i am potentially engaging myself into a long term relationship that will have one of two possible routes; marriage or break-up. so excuse me for not getting into a relationship with every tom, dick and harry. sure, i'd go on dates but to be in an exclusive relationship? i think it's a given that i will be picky. of course this doesn't work out for the best for all. i've heard of people dating and committing 9 years of their lives together and end it. nobody knows. but the start of something new is something that i can have a say in.

but of course i don't say such things. i'm not itching to be in a relationship. in fact, i'm embracing this part of my life right now. sure, i've never been in a relationship before so don't expect me to give relationship advice anytime soon but at this point in my life right now, being in a relationship would be hazardous. this is the time for me to find myself and figure out who i really am. it's me time.

my friend recently started a dating 101 blog just for me! i say it's for me cause the blog add pretty much says it all 1014nat.blog.com

101 for nat, get it? so go ahead, click it and read it. it's new and will be updated every week. leave a comment or whatever but just read it. it may just give you some fresh perspective on dating. now, if only i know where all the single men hang out.

No comments: